Solid State Drives vs. Hard Drives
An SSD is an amazing way to breathe new life into an old Mac. Compared to your spinning hard drive, an SSD drive is:
- Faster: up to 90x the speed of your current drive.
- More durable: No moving parts, no head hovering 100th the width of a human hair above your data that is zipping by at 5k-7k RPMs.
- Quieter: No moving parts! It's silent.
- More energy efficient: An SSD uses about a third the power of a hard drive.
- Lighter: SSDs are about 1 tenth the weight of a hard drive.
- Cooler: SSDs run cooler, which is better for your laptop!
Replace your current hard drive, or even replace the optical drive and configure both your hard drives as a Fusion Drive if you aren't using that DVD burner anymore. Here's an inexpensive, but very highly rated SSD from Crucial - one of the first manufacturers in the field to have SSD drives: